I don’t like choices that involve giving up an equally appealing option. Soup or salad? Well, I like both and I’d like both of them, please! I’m greedy like that.
I was feeling especially vegerrific today, hence the humungo salad pictured below.
Vegan Chinese “chicken” flavored soup by Dr. McDougall (140 cal per microwavable cup)
Love these cups!! They’re so tasty, not to mention light in sodium and calories. I added a teaspoon of Coconut Secret coconut aminos to it. Mmm… SO GOOD!
Generous bed of romaine lettuce + celery sticks with leftover pea + red onion salad, Lindsay low sodium black olives, and homemade honey mustard dressing (recipe below!)
Sandwich with one slice Nature’s Pride whole wheat, Kerrygold reduced fat cheddar cheese, and blackberry fruit spread.
Homemade Honey Mustard Dressing
- 4 oz distilled white vinegar
- 4 oz water
- 3 oz extra virgin olive oil
- 3 TBSP honey
- 2 TBSP mayo
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1 teaspoon yellow prepared mustard
- Pinch of white pepper
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum (thickener)
- In blender container, add in: vinegar, water, olive oil, honey, mayo, prepared mustard, mustard powder, white pepper, and xanthan gum
- Cover tightly and start blender on low; slowly increase speed to medium-high. Blend for 1-2 minutes or until dressing thickens. Careful not to over-blend and make too airy.
- Store in fridge.
It’s pretty light and fluffy and full of flavor. If you don’t have xanthan gum you could try using corn starch as a thickening agent. I had to stop licking the spatula I was using to transfer it from the blender container to various dishes for pics, lol. Yummy! I was hesitant about using so little mustard powder at first, but when I tasted a pinch of it, WHOA! Very pungent! Not what I expected, lol. I expected it to taste like… mustard… mustard that I’m accustomed to. ha! Noted for future use.
Other honey mustard ideas:
- Veggie dip (celery, carrots, broccoli, sugar snap peas…)
- Sandwich spread
- Chicken or shrimp side dip
We have a VERY busy week ahead! Tomorrow: hair appointment, shopping, and meeting with client. Wednesday: More shopping. Then, Thursday (Cinco de Mayo) is our 5-year wedding anniversary and we have plans. Outside of the house!! Can you believe it? Me either. Can’t wait!
There’s a pear and creamy peanut butter downstairs with my name on it. I expect heartburn to ensue shortly after.