But then again, slow-cooker recipes are excellent anytime of the year. Can I get an amen?
Today’s recipe is for Shredded Beef and Bacon(!!!) Chili with Kidney Beans cooked low and slow in your crockpot or on your stovetop if you prefer.
Crockpot Recipe: Shredded Beef and Bacon Chili
(gluten-free, grain-free, easy-to-make)
- 2-3 lb chuck roast, fat trimmed, diced into stew-size chunks
- 3-4 small green bell peppers, chopped
- 1 medium vidalia onion, chopped
- 3 cans no salt added diced tomatoes with juice
- 1 (28oz) can plain tomato sauce or crushed tomatoes
- 8oz uncured Applegate Farms bacon (or your bacon of choice) chopped
- 3 cups cooked kidney beans
- 2 cups water
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 TBSP cumin
- 1/4 cup garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper or to taste
- 1 TBSP sugar, optional
- 1-2 teaspoons Himalayan sea salt or regular sea salt or to taste
- 1 TBSP black pepper or to taste
- Trim chuck roast of fat; cut into stew-size chunks
- Chop bacon into 1-inch pieces; cook until almost crispy, leave fat in pan, add bacon to crockpot. Do not drain.
- In bacon fat, cook onions and peppers until browned and softened; remove from pan with slotted spoon and add to crockpot with bacon. Leave bacon fat in pan.
- With remaining bacon fat, add in beef chunks. Cook until browned and cooked halfway through.
- In crockpot, add in: beef with bacon drippings, canned tomatoes and sauce, 2 cups water, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, cayenne pepper, sugar, salt, and pepper and stir well. Reserve kidney beans.
- Set slow-cooker to low (or medium) and cook for 8-10 hours or until beef shreds easily. Stir, then when beef is tender, gently shred beef with large spoon or fork, break up all the larger pieces. Stir well.
- Add in kidney beans and stir 30-60 minutes before serving.
Makes 8-12 servings
Note: To make it strict Paleo- or Primal-friendly omit beans.
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt
- Cheddar cheese
- Diced tomatoes
- Raw onion
- Hot sauce
- Oyster crackers
- Crusty French bread
- Green beans
- Roasted sweet potato or butternut squash
- Baked potato