I love pistachio pudding, but the mix that comes in a box is made with things my body hates, so my determined sweet tooth is always trying to hack the heck out of original recipes so that it can get what it wants without upsetting its partner, the digestive track.
This creation was almost inevitable after a trip to BJ’s Wholesale Club: A 2.5 lb of pistachios and 4 avocados in a pack.
Yeah, you see where this is going.
Pistachio Avocado Pudding
(gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free, no-cook, vegan*)
- 3 large ripe avocados
- 1 cup shelled dry roasted pistachios
- 1/3 cup sugar or agave nectar or raw honey or sweetener of choice that equivalent
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon or lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon Himalayan pink or sea salt
- 1/4 cup plus + 1 TBSP cold water + water for soaking pistachios
- Extra chopped pistachios for sprinkling on top
- Soak 1 cup shelled pistachios in filtered water for ~3 hours to soften them; drain and rinse.
- Add to high speed blender like a Vita-Mix or similar (food processor might work) with sugar or sweetener of choice, plus 1 TBSP water
- Blend on high until smooth paste forms, about 5-10+ minutes if necessary:
Note: It won’t be completely smooth, there will be small bits, but that’s ok, it tastes good! I continued to blend after this pic was taken until it was even smoother.
- Let paste and avocado chill in fridge overnight or at least 4-5 hours.
- Cut avocados in half, scoop out all of the flesh and add to the paste with 1/4 cup water; blend on high speed until it is well incorporated and smooth. Stop blending periodically and use spatula to scrape down sides, continue blending until smooth.
- Chill pudding in refrigerator for 4-5 hours before eating.
- Top with additional chopped pistachios or chocolate chips
Note: Texture will be a bit thick and fluffy, like a mousse, but rich and creamy with subtle pistachio crunchies. Lemon/lime juice is undetectable; added to help prevent oxidation, which will happen anyway.
Makes 4-6 servings
*Vegan only if you use a vegan sweetener
YUM! There’s no avocado flavor at all. Just sweet pistachio goodness. If you omit the sugar and use a sweetener like stevia, this could be a very healthy dessert, snack, or even a meal!
Don’t like pistachio? How about chocolate or chocolate and peanut butter avocado mousse?
Just as easy to make and equally delicious.
Dustin sent me this Lifehacker Photography tricks article —what’s he trying to tell me? LOL
I pretty much knew about everything on the list, but maybe it will be helpful to anyone just getting into photography. I know most of the basics and apply them about 50% of the time. Sheer laziness. heh
I’m craving tomato soup. I think I might make a bowl of cheater’s tomato soup with low-sodium v8 juice. My tummy has been extra hostile and pained lately. I think I might have a gallbladder problem. I don’t know, I need to see my doctor. Life has been overwhelming this year. Busy is good, but I’m exhausted.
Still working on mega blog changes! Slowly, but surely, we’re getting there. I’m super excited about all of it, but do wish it was done already. We have a lot of new and exciting things on the docket, but you’ll have to be patient and stay in suspense for awhile!