This recipe is so easy that I did most of it in my sleep!
Manhattan Clam Chowder
(gluten-free, grain-free, dairy-free, soy-free)
What you’ll need:
- 3 (10.5 oz) cans of chopped clams with the juice – The brand I use is Cento
- 6 cups original low sodium V8 juice (or 3 cups plain tomato sauce + 3 cups water + salt to taste, I used the V8)
- 4 cups filtered water
- 1.5 – 2 lbs yellow potatoes, peeled and diced into small cubes
- 1/2 large vidalia onion, chopped
- 3 – 4 stalks celery, chopped
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup dried or fresh parsley
- 1 vegetable or chicken bouillon cube, no salt added to reduce sodium
- 2 teaspoons black pepper or to taste
- 1 teaspoon white pepper or to taste
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Sprinkle of sage
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt to taste, optional (I didn’t add any)
- Crock pot or large pot with lid (at least 7 quarts)
What you’ll do:
1.) Wash, peel, and chop your potatoes, and your onions and celery;
2.) Add them to your crock pot or large pot with 4 cups water, the bouillon cube, chopped clams with clam juice, parsley, black and white pepper, (salt), dried oregano, garlic powder, sage, and bay leaf;
3.) Stir, cover, and cook on a low for 6-8 hours or until potatoes are thoroughly cooked;
4.) When potatoes are cooked, remove the bay leaf and add in 6 cups low sodium V8 original vegetable juice (or plain tomato sauce, water, and salt); stir, and let simmer for 30 minutes before serving.
Makes 12 servings
~150 calories per serving
I haven’t tried it yet, too busy making it and blogging about it, but my taste-testers, Dustin and mom, said it’s delicious, and they’re huge fusspots, so I’m willing to bet that it’s pretty damn good clam chowder.
I made my Easter menu yesterday. Can’t wait! Today, I’m making Easter baskets for our nieces and nephews. I just ordered a gift basket on gourmetgiftbaskets.com for the in-laws; I hope it’s a good one because I’ve never purchased from the web site before and relied solely on the reviews, lol.
Today, I made a hair appointment for Friday but I was hoping to get in sooner. Unfortunately, my hairdresser is off on Wed + Thurs, so I have to wait patiently and grayly. I should have made it sooner. Oops! My bad.
I don’t want to be hasty and declare success, but I think my new sinus regimen MIGHT be helping and I haven’t even implemented all of the steps consistently yet! So far I am doing the neti pot + baby shampoo rinse and a few squirts of the Xlear nasal spray now and then. I’m not sure if it’s just a coincidence or not but I think my post-nasal drip that I typically wake up with is improving. Oh, please, please, please let this be the answer. I miss breathing freely! Crossing my fingers.
Baskets to make, clam chowder to eat! Gotta go, gotta go!