My grandma makes the tastiest baked beans… with bacon.
I think I make the tastiest baked beans and you won’t miss the bacon.
So easy to make. It’s ridiculous.
What you’ll need:
- 1 lb dry small white or black or pinto beans, soaked overnight and cooked thoroughly
- 3/4 cup (no salt added) ketchup
- 6 TBSP black strap molasses
- 1/2 large sweet vidalia onion, diced finely
- 2 TBSP organic palm shortening or cooking fat of choice
- 1 TBSP extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 2 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- Pink Himalayan salt to taste
- Black pepper to taste
- Casserole dish
- Frying pan
What you’ll do:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
2. In a nonstick frying pan, add palm shortening (or oil of choice) and heat on low. Add in diced onions and cook until soft.
3. In a large mixing bowl, add cooked beans and toss with onions and palm shortening.
5. Coat casserole dish with olive oil; add in bean mixture; spread evenly with spoon.
6. Bake on 350 degrees F for 50-60 minutes or until browned and slightly crisped on top.
You can use canned beans if you prefer—about 3 average cans or so. I was in an ambitious mood when I started with dry beans. In hindsight I probably would have gone the canned route to save time and work.
Our well (water cooler) has run dry, need to go pick up refills. I have been putting off errands all week and now I have twice as many stops. Always fun! And why does it feel like Friday? It’s only Thursday. Then again, I have to keep reminding myself that it’s no longer February!